Friday, June 24, 2005

movie catch-up

D always catches me up on the latest Asian movies whenever I come home... House of Fury, Tokyo Raiders, A World Without Thieves, New Police Story, A Moment to Remember, Azumi, Azumi 2...

We were discussing what makes us like a movie or not. I generally don't like movies with realistic endings... because "realistic" usually implies the 'good guys win and live happily ever after, bad guys lose' doesn't end up happening. It's sort of why my liking of Cowboy Bebop lessened after the ending. D, on the other hand, just likes unpredictable endings. "You see him about to fight the guy and the prediction is that he'll beat the guy and be able to get away. But he doesn't. He dies. Whoa! That was unexpected... interesting ending."

My brothers also tried to get me to watch 'A Tale of Two Sisters' with them. They told me it was a comedy, but sad in some parts. There's no reason for me not to believe them. So we started watching it... and a few minutes into it, I realized there was something odd going on. It certainly did not seem like a comedy.

Argh, I hate it when someone does that to me. I CANNOT watch horror films!!! Ok. It creeps me out... in the 'nightmares for the rest of my life' sort of way. I even hate talking about them. Ok, so I'm going to stop now.

A Moment to Remember was ok... I'm still trying to decide whether or not I liked it. It gives me the same feeling as 'Windstruck', without all the weird wind business. The female lead is the same person who's in 'The Classic' and 'Summer Scent' [drama].

Azumi... female kenshin? Even the ending [to #2] is Kenshin-OVA-ending-like. I think watching these types of movies with the addition of D's commenting is inuring me to Japanese blood & gore.

I also just saw the trailer for the Initial D movie... it would certainly help if I'd seen the anime. Maybe I'll watch a few eps to get a feel for it.

No comments: