![]() | Summer Scent Started: Aug 11th Finished: Sept 5th KBS 2003, 20 episodes Cast: Song Seung Hun (Yoo Min-woo) Son Ye Jin (Shim Hae-won) Ryu Jin (Park Jung-jae) Han Ji Hye (Park Jung-ah) |
Another one in the boot. It might seem like I finished this one in a hop and a skip, but keep in mind that I didn't write about "All About Eve" until a month after I actually finished it -_-
This was a re-watch from oh, a year and a half ago, so we took our time on it... ie. an episode a day during dinner. After watching several other Korean dramas and having more to compare against, I think many would find Summer Scent to be disappointing. K points out that some of the elements of the story are not-too-original and I've heard from others that watching this after Winter Sonata would definitely be an 'ouch' (haven't seen Winter yet... but it's the same director and supposedly quite good).
The personality of the characters was sometimes quite frustrating (or am I just frustrated more easily these days?)...
- selfish friend who has double standards regarding friendship
- selfish guy who tries to hold on to the girl however he can (even if it's just wrong)
- weako girl who's just too considerate of others
- weako guy who doesn't go after what he wants
The first half was well done, but the second half was just so-so. Despite everything, this was the first Korean drama I ever watched and probably because that, ends up rating a bit higher than it otherwise would have. A so-so drama can have a great OST though ^-^
Having finished this now is quite appropriate; the summer is ending, the weather is beginning to get a bit chillier, and the sun is setting earlier in the day. I would welcome the autumn and winter, but out here in the west coast, there is less to look forward to. There is no rush of color from the leaves nor a first snowfall covering everything in white. On the other hand, it probably won't get much colder than 40 degrees here and I don't have to lug out a fat winter coat. Tradeoffs.

No comments:
Post a Comment