Initially it was going to be an all-dessert evening, but that turned out to be miscommunication at work. So I decided to make a dish... green bean casserole... which then became turkey green bean casserole... afterall, how can turkey day be without turkey? The green bean casserole: meat from turkey legs roasted the night before, canned green beans, fried onions, cream of mushroom, and turkey stock concocted the previous night.
This casserole was joined by EJ's potato hash casserole and Chiu-Ki & Francois' pork chops... oh, and salad with sesame miso dressing... for a satisfying main course.
And onto dessert...
Choco pie...

the ingredients of which shall remain a mystery for now ^_~ . Some lessons learned:
... use butter (not oil) in the making of a cookie crumb crust (unless you like your crust greasy-feeling)
... a food processor can make quite a mess when making cookie crumbs, or maybe my food processor is just sub-standard. In any case, I will stick to the rolling pin and ziploc bag for future crusts.
... try coffee (in place of coffee liqueur) next time... I just didn't like the extra dimension given by the Kahlua.
Blueberry cobbler became cheesecake when K told me he didn't like excessively fruity desserts... which then become cheesecake brownies when I couldn't find a 9x3 [non-springform] cake pan. Ala Joy of Cooking, these turned out ok.


I did have a bump or two along the way though... upon finishing the brownie bottom and putting it in the oven, I turned to the construction of the cheesecake top, only to encounter the dry goods for the brownie bottom still sitting on my countertop. No wonder the mixture was so thick and tough to spread! I hurriedly extracted the already hot pan from the oven. Now, the brownie mixture was already sitting on top of parchment in the pan, so it would be virtually impossible to salvage back into a mixing bowl. And so, I dumped the flour mixture into the pan and proceeded to mix with my rubber spatula... until very well-combined. And back in the oven it went. The rest of the experience was, thankfully, uneventful.
EJ made Boston cream pie and fried apple turnovers, which I regretfully do not have pictures of =( The pie was ok and the apple turnovers were decidedly yummy ^o^
Four desserts for six people... resulted in approximately a quarter of each dessert being eaten... ie, too much food once again.
No comments:
Post a Comment