Friday, September 22, 2006

the happiest place on earth

10pm Thursday - finally got home, ate dinner, showered, packed
3am Friday - sleep
5am - wake up for flight
8:30am-ish - land in SNA, waited for our baggage (no fluids/gels allowed on planes), picked up by J, headed straight to Disneyland
almost 10am - after the driving and parking and figuring out what to bring with us vs what to leave in the car and the applying of sunscreen and the riding on the tram and the waiting in line, we finally make it through the Disneyland entrance.

They self-promote it as the "happiest place on Earth"... I wonder what that makes Disney World... perhaps the happiest place in the Universe?

I had borrowed a very mini guidebook from the library that I skimmed through on the plane (plus there was the map I picked up on Wednesday), so I had a more than general idea of the things we *had* to do. Our first stop was all the big rides, and then the smaller rides and exploration of the rest.

Adventureland: Indiana Jones ride (wait time = practically non-existent). We sat in the front of the car and yay for K sitting on the side and being surprised by the huge cobra that unexpectedly hissed. Poor kid in the seat behind us got really freaked out... he was crying afterwards on the way out.

New Orleans Sq: Pirates of the Caribbean ride. K kept complaining that it was too slow though both J and I really enjoyed all the scenes.

New Orleans Sq: Huanted Mansion was closed.

Grabbed some overpriced McDonalds fries as a snack before we headed to the next ride.

Critter Country: Splash Mountain. The final drop looked much longer from afar than when we actually rode it.

Critter Country: Pictures with Pooh!! Just K and me though. I felt really bad later about an incident here. The couple behind us in line were discussing who would go first to take a picture and then they would switch off etc, so I offered to take their picture for them. When K and I finally got to the start of the line, they were about to have Pooh switch off (Tigger was coming next), but I managed to rush in and look excited enough that we were the last ones to have Pooh. I was so ecstatic about being able take pictures with Pooh before the switch that I just rushed off right afterwards and forgot about the couple. And... I didn't remember it until many hours later. Eek. I hope they got their picture ok =(

Stopped to admire a petrified tree.


Frontierland: Big Thunder Mtn Railroad. Semi fast... but no real drops.

Fantasyland: Matterhorn was closed >_<

Tomorrowland: Space Mountain. Definitely the fastest ride of the morning.

1:30-ish. Done with the big rides... time for lunch. There was a pizza place in Tomorrowland, but K didn't feel like pizza, so we went back to New Orleans square and ate at the 'French Market'. J got a clam chowder bread bowl and mac n cheese. K and I shared a chicken tenders and a fried chicken with rice and beans dish.


An exciting dessert [though we didn't order it] was fried cheesecake...


Climbed up Tarzan's Treehouse... shaky in parts, but still a cool treehouse.

Went back to the entrance and took the tram back to the parking structure to meet up with C.

Pictures with Mickey inside the entrance. There was no line... and the kids are very aggressive when it came to taking pictures. They all jumped in even though I was there way before them and K got mad that I wasn't asserting myself. I finally got my picture though.

Parade of Dreams. K and I got a good spot and watched it while JC went on Space Mountain. The largest "item" in the whole parade was probably Ursula...


Returned to Critter Country for more pictures... Tigger and Eeyore were both there, but when we almost got to the front of the line, Pooh switched in. So more pictures with Pooh!! (which was my original intention anyways) The people who got to take the final pictures with Eeyore and Tigger were lucky... because they got to take it with all three of them!

The trash receptacles give conflicting messages...


Indiana Jones, again, though this time it was a 20 minute wait.

Time for Fantasyland.

Peter Pan.

Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

Rest for a bit in a tea cup [until we were kicked out by someone wanting to take a picture of their kid sitting in the tea cup].

Got a FastPass for Astro Blasters (why a line?).

1st 3D show of the weekend: Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

Astro Blasters... ah, now we understand the line. Thank goodness for FastPass allowing us to cut to almost the front. J totally creamed us... her score being greater than the sum of the rest of us.

It's a Small World. Really loooong ride and the song is forever stuck in your mind afterwards.

J bought a turkey leg for a 'dinner snack' while I bought a chimichanga.

Astro Blasters again, and a much higher score this time around.

Tried to find a spot in New Orleans square for the Fantasmic show.

JC was too dead for it, but K and I watched it, standing, of course [while I ate my chimichanga]. Awesome show. Water used as a projection screen, water set on fire, varied cast of characters and villians, lasers, pyrotechnics... just *too* cool. Even my dead feet and lower back pain couldn't take away from it.


Shuffle to Main Street for the fireworks.

Pretty fireworks synced to Disney music.


Shuffle down Main Street. Stop in front of candy shop. Sit on window ledge watching people shuffle out of the park.

JC comes to meet us. Ice cream at Main Street shop.

K and I walk around downtown Disney for a bit looking for not-too-overpriced food that he can have for dinner. Failed in doing so... drove back to J's.

Sleep 1:30am-ish.

No comments: