It would have been nice if I didn't drop the ball on Chinese after the semesters of Streamlined in college... seems like those four semesters were basically a waste since I forgot it all during the last seven years. Ok, it wasn't a total waste; I probably could re-learn characters a lot faster than if I had to learn them from scratch. Anyways, that's the past.
Chinese... is not at the forefront of my language studies at this moment, but it hasn't totally dropped off. The occasional ChinesePod (yay cpod!) and "reading" HP in simplified... well, while listening to it on audio since my characters knowledge is still quite limited.
Italian... was only supposed to be for the Europe trip. It took a while to get myself to let go, but finally it was forced off a couple of months ago from other priorities and lack of time. Is it really? Well, for the most part at least ^_^''.
Korean... started late January. It made me realize that I don't really like Pimsleur. It's too... boring? It was good for starting out, but I really had to force myself to do the lessons each day after a while. I was transcribing the beginning dialogs in Hangul and then posting on the htlal forums to check for correctness since what I thought I was hearing wasn't always exactly what was said. I eventually ended up directly emailing someone I met on the forums. Both the forum and email really helped because I couldn't really slack off haha. The person made an interesting comment at the end of the 30 lessons... that she was 'inspired by my conviction'. Anyways, all KClass101 now... yay for fun podcasts! But it's fallen off a bit too :-/
Japanese... is the culprit for the fall off of Korean and Chinese. Started a few weeks ago, the last day of March. It's easy to keep track of the start because I've done one Assimil lesson a day since then. There's 99 lessons total and it's entirely "passive" learning until lesson 50, i.e. only listening and understanding and no production. It's kind of an interesting concept since any classroom-centered class makes you speak right away (and also the exact opposite of Pimsleur). So, Assimil and JPod101, from the same people who started KClass101. Or rather, I should say that KClass101 is from the same people who started JPod101, since jpod came first ^_~
Apparently 2008 is the UN-proclaimed International Year of Languages... an appropriate coincidence ^o^
No comments:
Post a Comment