Good food enjoyed in the company of E started with Korean bbq...

2nd night was hanjeongsik dinner, which is a full-course meal that used to be served at banquets to kings or something to that effect. Our first meal with E was actually going to be hanjeongsik, but the place we went to turned out to be really expensive. So we held off until our next evening. We chose the 18-course meal for 35000 won (less than $35) per person. Each of the plates are fairly small, but by the end, I was stuffed.
Creamy (in consistency, not actual flavor) rice-flavor soup and a vinegary vege appetizer (E said it was a palate cleanser)...

Mung bean noodle, various salads, and egg pancakes with meat and seafood. Out of the three types of egg pancakes, two were supposedly spicy. Well, E and K pointed out the spiciest one, but for some reason, I didn't find it spicy at all! The one I claimed to be spicy, they said were mild. K liked the egg pancakes so much that we ordered another set of them...

Jellyfish salad and raw fish... both very fresh and yummy (C would approve of the jellyfish)...

Stuffed prawns and fish and meat with kimchi. I ate K's portion of the stuffed prawns since he wasn't too excited about it. E said we were supposed to eat the fish, meat, and kimchi together in one bite. Quite spicy for me but still yummy.

Meatballs (very hot plate)...

Duck ham (almost just like pork ham!), spicy octopus (waaaay too spicy for all of us), seafood with glutinous rice soup (probably my fav dish)...

Spicy tofu soup with banchan (E called it filler in case the rest of the dishes wasn't enough) and raw crab...

Actually, K doesn't eat raw stuff, so he skipped the raw crab entirely and E wasn't all that fond of it either, so it was just me. I liked the texture and thought it was seasoned quite well (spicy tho) but by this point I was quite full, so I only made it through 1.5 crabs. Too bad because this and the spicy octopus was probably the difference between the meal we ordered and the next less expensive meal. Raw crab close-up...

Dessert. Ginger tea (we had this previously at one of our other meals of just K and me) and sweet cookies (I don't know what else to call them... they're not really cookies tho)...

3rd night. Dessert at Myeongdong. Froyo, fresh fruit, red bean, shaved ice. The name 'red bean sherbet' just doesn't do it justice...
2 comments:
I got to see E. shortly after you did! He was in Vancouver for business and came down to Seattle to stay w/ P. for a weekend. They came to our Bon Voyage party and came over again the next night to play Race for the Galaxy. It was good to see him. We'll probably shoot him an email when we're in Beijing. A Seoul side-trip is plausible.
Yep, he mentioned he would see you guys. He was leaving for a short trip to the U.S. a couple of days after we last saw him =)
Post a Comment