Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 2: Dublin => Zurich

With our noon flight to Zurich, getting to the airport a couple of hours early, taking the bus there, walking to the bus stop, grabbing some breakfast at the nearby supermarket, and checking out of the hostel, there wasn't really much more time for exploring in the morning. Upon checking out, I almost forgot my scarf! As we were walking out the front door, I realized I didn't have it -- accidentally threw it in the basket with our linens -- oops! Phew!

The check-in at the airport took a while. Apparently Switzerland is very strict with entries... they want proof that you'll leave. We were going to leave by train but didn't buy our tickets yet. We did, however, have lodging reservations for our next destination, Munich, and also, a return flight from Zurich to Dublin for the end of our trip. With all the questioning about our travel plans, the rep didn't ask to weight our carry-ons. She was going to charge us for the check-in, but I mentioned coming from the U.S. the previous day (also on Aer Lingus)... she looked into it and we were ok.

We then finished our breakfast before going through security. It was during this that we noticed the couple of weighing stations for you to weight your luggage (carry-ons and/or check-in) and re-distribute as necessary. From what we've seen, most European airlines now have weight restrictions for carry-ons as well as check-ins.

Out of curiosity, I weighed my carry-on... 7.6 kg. K's fell under 6. We'll have to make sure to fix my carry-on weight for our next flight.

We had seats on the middle & window for the 2+ hour flight. I would never pick them that way, but I opted to not pay the extra fee to select our seats in advance on-line. We were lucky again at baggage claim -- only a minute wait for our luggage ^o^

2 comments:

M said...

It's not luck. Getting checked luggage is fast everywhere EXCEPT the U.S.! I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 5 minutes to get my bags.

MK said...

For these two flights, it was so short because our bags were among the first ones out of the shoot ^o^ Plenty of people still waiting for theirs though. We've waited in other countries, but kind of fuzzy right now on the comparison vs the U.S. Guess it wasn't particularly long or short? Yay for luck or efficiency, or both hehe ^-^